Friday, September 01, 2006

1st day at school

Haha, I feel like a 5-year-old...
Just wanted to let everybody know that my class is GREAT!! Actually, I got to school early today, at 7.30. (Yeah, for those who know me well, know that this is really amazing) But I went and said Hi to my new team mates when they were running their asses off. Class started at 8.10. Shy and quiet start, but after a few minutes, it was a great atmospheare. All of us has the same background!!! Well, except one.. The rest of us are Taiwanese who grew up abroad - I'm the only one who didn't grow up in US. There is one American among us, but she grew up abroad, and has probably spent more time in Taiwan than me. Her Mandarin is really good, and she writes ten-times faster and prettier than the rest of us.. Haha.. Our teacher is also great. She has a strong personality and is very lively when she teaches. Most of us wanted to change to intensive classes, but after class today, I think we changed our mind, and will stick to this class. Yay :) Since all of us can speak Mandarin, we will improve a lot quicker if we get a heavier work load, but we made an agreement with out teacher to speed things up, so we can learn as much as possible. So we jumped from chapter 1 to chapter 5 today.

My classmates' reading skills blew me away at first... But luckily I managed to keep up the pace. Some of them have watched a lot of Taiwanese TV-series, that's how they learned reading, while I've just been lazy... I really need to step it up a notch so I wont fall behind lah, but so far, so good!

Me and a classmate went out for lunch after class. We heard something about a famous place for eating special Yong Kang sliced noodles, so we set off looking for that place. We asked for directions about 4 times.. The ppl here are sooo nice and helpful! And silly us, didn't know the characters for YongKangDaoXueMien, so one very nice lady wrote it down for us.. Haha.. So embarrassing - hao diou lien ah!! We walked around in the heat for ages, but didn't manage to find the place. So we just went in to a random place and ate beef noodle soup with some side dishes. We got along really well. She's some years older than me though. She's a post-graduate, and has some work experience, so I assume she's maybe 4-5 years older than me. We actually had a lot in common, and it's so much fun to have conversations in Mandarin. But we had to use some English words every now and then...

Can't wait to go back to school on Monday!! Woohooo!!! I'm a neeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd! :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home